4/3/10

Gettin My Easter Bonnets On for Pink Saturday!!!



I’ve always loved hats!

Was always excited for Easter since Easter
 was a chance to wear a hat without looking like

a Dork

a Movie Star Wannabe
 or
Mrs. Turmiss.

Now Mrs. Turmiss was what my friend Nancy and I called ‘Old School Sunday School’ and a PewPillow. Criteria for OSSS:

*Old as dirt…..we were 12.
*Said lots of Amens…we said ONE…after bless this food.
*Sang HiTest Soprano….we were silent singers in the choir.
*Carried a Snap Closed Handbag…signal for passing the plate.
*Wore a different Hat EVERY Sunday…we did Easter.
*Sat in the same Pew EVERY Sunday…Pillow Marked the Spot.

Mrs. Turmiss was HeadMistress of the Old School Sunday School.

*She had ‘Blue hair’…sure sign of age.
*Said Amen after every Scripture, Song and Shout….Southern Baptist Fire and Brimstone!
*Cleared her throat after every Amen and made the Choir Soprano sound like a bass.
*Opened and Snapped Shut her Purse after every Amen and before the Passing of the Plate.

And…Did she ever have HATS!

And Gloves to match!

My goodness that was so many Easters ago, and I still am reminded of Mrs. Turmiss when I see Hats like the ones she wore every Sunday. 

Now I look back and realize that ladies like Mrs. Turmiss were setting examples for young girls like Nancy and me to be your own person and wear that Hat whether it is Stylish or not!

There is a bit more to this story about Mrs. T's OSSS habits, and I've debated about how to tell it without Ya'll thinking that this GRIT didn't learn a thing in Sunday School. 

So before I embarass myself and my Mama I'd better say my Thank-you's to Beverly at How Sweet The Sound for another Special Pink Saturday.  There's lots of Special Easter Posts in Pink Blogland, and I'm bettin there's some Pink Easter Bonnets, too!  Happy Easter, Ya'll !!!

PS...The Rest of the Story....

Nancy and I noticed from our silent singing seats that Mrs. T's purse 'Snapped Open and Snapped Shut' alot.
 If you've had one like that, you know it's not a quiet purse in church.
 So one Sunday after choir was dismissed we sat behind Mrs.T's PewPillow and checked out the Purse Snap Routine...
AMEN...Clear Throat...SnapOpen...Spit...SnapShut!


26 comments:

  1. Too-ooo FUNNY!! LOVE your post today, Sue!.. And LOVE that movie star hat too! About the only time and place, closest to here, to wear something as pretty as that, would be the Saratoga Race track... but boy, would I feel like the bell of the ball in THAT one!... Happy Pink Saturday to you, and a very Happy Easter to you and yours! ((hugs)) ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Easter. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/03/2010

    Great post! Hope you have a wonderful Holiday!
    Hugs~
    CAt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hats and gloves! They just say "Spring and Easter!" May you have a blessed Easter.

    Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous church story. We had a "bun" lady. She was a precious christian but very very stern.
    Love the white hat. Have a blessed day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue,
    I love this post! I'm all about hats, though I don't wear one very often. I remember when I was a little girl, my mama never went to church without her hat and gloves. So, this was such a wonderful post to take me back to those "good ole days!" Have a joyful Easter!
    Hugs,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny! Will you where a hat tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well what else is there to say but Amen. Love the gloves too! Happy Easter xoxoMollye

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful hats! Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story, made me SMILE! Those handbags really had Attitude. We had a teacher with one, and hers used to snap shut with great disapproval if we were messing around in class. Used to silence us like a shot.

    Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delightful post!!!
    Happy Easter/spring/pink everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see you in a hat! For sure, it won't make you look like a "dork!"

    Happy PS,
    Jacalyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4/03/2010

    Hi Sue,
    Love the snappin' purse story (I remember those) and the hats and gloves. I'd be in my element if I could wear hats and gloves everywhere I go...grocery store? Lowes? Target? Somehow, I just don't think so ;)
    Happy Easter and PS~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh,I loved the hats and I loved your story.The first hat is just to die for,it's gorgeous. Happy Pinks..and have a sweet,wonderful,blessed Easter.
    A p.s. You remember the two Sue's in pantaloons I posted..well,I'm still going through that huge box of old patterns and I found two more. I will be posting them soon and will try to remember to drop by and let you know. xx CC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, Sue, what a funny story. I think we all have a Miss Turmiss somewhere in our lives.
    Loved the way yall found out why she opened and shut the purse so much! That was probably some pretty good snuff!

    I haven't been able to get over to see you as often as I like, been busy with stuff. I am going to go snoopin around at some of your other posts. I love visiting you and I love it when you come over to see me too!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue, you always have me laughing. I love to wear a hat. I've lots of hats around HFTS. Most of mine are not so fancy as these. I wear them to keep the sun off my face here in TX. You know about that! Thanks for sharing. Happy, Happy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sue, you sure made me laugh. Thanks for sharing your childhood memories.

    Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sue, thanks for stopping by, the hat on my blog was my Mom's. She "decorated" it for tea parties. I love your hats too, great stories!lol
    Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Easter too!
    Blessings,
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was so cute, and brought back memories. There is a Mrs. Turmiss in every church. Happy Easter and Happy Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMGosh! EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! I do remember those snappin' purses! Hats were such fun to wear on Sunday, white gloves. Where did these times fall by the wayside?

    Love your write.

    Happy Easter!
    Have a beautiful weekend.
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sue, we too wore Easter hats. I have a family photo where all the girls (5) had Easter hats and RIBBONS in our hair. Now that makes me smile. One day I should share that photo. I was nine years old.

    Your story today is very funny. As children we do get amused at 'old' people at church and school. I once had an English teacher that we called George Washington. Her white hair was just like he wore his. Poor Mrs. Kennedy. HA! Love your sense of humor Sue. Love the pink hat.

    Happy Easter.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely post.Happy Easter to you and Happy Pink Saturday too. I'm having a giveaway, please feel free to drop by and join in.
    Have a great weekend.
    Ita

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the memories of something I had forgotten. I love the pink hat. I use to wear hats to church as a child. Every Easter I would get a new dress, Easter hat and gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Please consider this a better late than never comment. It seems my job is keeping me crazy busy, but I didn't want to miss your post. Happy very belated Pink Saturday.

    And, girl you have me giggling. I love your church story.

    And, I always loved my special Easter outfits including new dress, gloves, hat, pocketbook and shoes. Oh, weren't we all beautiful?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Goodness I love a pretty hat! What beautiful photos you have here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.