4/11/12

Dear John...You Are NOT Number One

A to Z Family Tree - Letter 'J'

Dear John, John, John, John, John,+ Ten More,

As the 'Number One' most given 'Given Guys Name' in the Pittman Family Tree, it is my duty as 'The Family's Genealogist' to inform All Fifteen of you, despite popular 'Moniker Statistics', Ya'll are NOT Number One.

Since the First John Pittman born in America in 1726, your name has been held in high esteem and an honorable tradition in the naming of 'First Born Sons' who are destined to be called Junior.

From Colonial John through Civil War John, the Pittman John's led the nation as the Number One Given Guys Name.  This trend continued through the 1920's.  During these Trend Setting years, William ran a close second in the US and in our 'Tree' with Eleven Williams.  True to Trend, James, George, Robert, Charles, Joseph, Frank, Henry and Thomas were 'Tree Toppers' as well as 'Chart Toppers ' across the nation.

Dear Jane, Jane, Jane, Jane, Jane + Fifteen More,

Ya'll are Number One in The Pittman Family Tree.  Never mind that Jane as a Given Gals Name only made Number Twenty-Two on the All Time Popularity List.

Jane The First, Jane Calvert Leatherwood 1746-1764, believed in the 'Family Namesake' tradition.   Her son's were John, William, James, George, and Thomas.  She named two of her daughters after herself or possibly her mother...one was Jane and the other Janey.

 Jane The First in 'Our Tree' was the Direct Ancestor and 4XGreat Grandmother of her namesake Martha Jane Marley Carroll, my Great Great Grandmother. 

Janie as she was called, has become 'My Family Tree Focus Female'.  Her grandson, Willard Carroll Pittman is my father, and through his lineage Martha Jane Marley Carroll's 'Family Photo Album' was 'Passed Down' to me.


The discovery and photo detective work of Janie's Album has led to many of
'The John's, James' and Jane's in
The Pittman~Carroll~Marley~Leatherwood Family Tree
The Photo Album can be viewed HERE.

To View All AtoZ Posts....click on Apple.

PARTICIPANTS LIST

6 comments:

  1. John may not be #1 but it's still one of the nicest names for a man. I like Jane too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thoroughly enjoyable look at the J-gang in your family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I suppose we all have a lot of John's in our family.
    I will have to do research though about Jane's.
    Hope your having a good week
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I think it's marvelous that you're using the A-Z in this way! I have an uncle who has researched my dad's side and is getting ready to help me research my mother's side and I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so glad I finally made it over to your blog! It's gorgeous and creative. Now off to read a few more posts of yours before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On both sides of my family, David is the most popular name (first or middle). In my husbands family, as far back as anyone remembers, men have the same middle name of Allen. Our first born son was named before he was even a twinkle in our eye!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.