10/20/13

YO MAMA...How's Your CRIB?

I'm rappin' talking about a Baby Crib of course. 
It's the first thing to get ready for the arrival of a new member of the family.
Unless....that Sweet Baby arrives before the Crib!
Then a Dresser Drawer is where you keep that Sweet Baby warm!
Such was the case when my Baby Sister was born in September 1957.   I was ten years old and even though I was a TomBoy, I did love baby dolls and was quite excited that a real baby was on the way.  It didn't matter if it was a boy or a girl....back then it was always a surprise...unless of course you believed in the 'Swinging Ring Test'.  Here's how it was done...
...take off your wedding ring, tie it to a piece of string, and hang it over your belly. 
If it swings in a circle, you are promised a boy;  back and forth indicates a girl. 
 
I remember my Grandmother Minnie making the trip from Iowa to be with my Mother for the birth of my third sibling.  I already had a younger brother and sister...yes, I was #1....so it really didn't matter to me if the new baby wore pink or blue. 
 
 Mother was prepared for either one with saved baby clothes from us first three, and new baby things were yellow.  After three babies and twice that many moves,  the first crib didn't make it for baby number four.  A new Crib was on order from the Sears catalog.  It was late and 'Baby Sister' was early.  
 
Thankfully, Grandmother Minnie's solution of a Dresser Drawer worked out perfectly.  Especially when you wanted to muffle the crying baby...close the drawer...just kidding!  She didn't cry all that much, and when she did I was right there. 
 
Here we are 56 years later...and I'm still right there...playing dress-up and keeping her CRIB warm with Quilts.  Thank-you Minnie for this memory, and Mother...I'm so glad your 'Swinging Ring' swung back and forth.
New Listings in Nana's Blankies and A Quilt Store and More ETSY Shop
~YO MAMA and GRANDMA these CRIBS are for Ya'll~

4 comments:

  1. So many folks used a dresser drawer to bed their new borns...a lovely tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lovely tradition, Sandra. If my Grandmother Minnie had not been there, I would not have this story to tell, and the 'Dresser Drawer Tradition' would not be a part of our Family History. Thank goodness the dresser was one of the old fashion ones with large, sturdy drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree; it seems like a great tradition! I'll have to ask my mother what she recalls about this in our family history.

    Have a great Monday, Sue. I've missed reading your posts—I'm so glad I'm back to blogging! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now days people would never think of using a dresser drawer. I miss the "Make Do" spirit!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.