5/10/14

Grave Yard Art...A Portfolio of Monuments

'Digital Remake' of Headstone Rubbing~1968~Alpine Cemetery

The 'Old Art Portfolio' digging has turned up some interesting and long forgotten sketch book art from Drawing 101...my first real art class.   As a college Freshman, I had to decide on a Minor field of study that would compliment my Major...PhysEd.  "ART", said the counselor is not compatible with your chosen major...I suggest HEALTH.  "Thanks, but I don't want to teach Health, and Art is the only other area I see that interests me, and I think it will come in handy for drawing bones."  Sure enough it was...I made high marks in Anatomy and Physiology with detailed drawings of bones, muscles, the nervous system and other body parts. 

As I look back now, I realize the impulse to study Art in 1968 was a 'DNA Ancestor Guided' decision to prepare me for a lifetime of Grave Yard Art and Genealogy Study.  Without my knowing it at the time, the Gravestone Rubbing assignment set me up forever as a Grave Yard Artist.  These days, 'Gravestone Rubbing' in the field of Genealogy is a valuable tool in preserving and recording information  from deteriorating headstones.  For the 'Family Historian', a rubbing can become part of an ancestors portfolio and physical reminder of having visited that persons grave.
For over forty years I have sketched and photographed headstones in many cemeteries throughout Texas.  In the last few years, I have been a Contributor and Volunteer Photographer for Find A Grave....a worldwide website of Virtual Cemeteries which also serves as a research site for Genealogist.  The above photograph and the following ones are from Tamarisk Cemetery in Ward County, Texas, established in the 1800's, and resting place of my Texas Ancestors.
A precious one from us has gone.  His voice we loved is stilled.
A place is vacant in our home which never can be filled.
God in his wisdom has recalled the boon that love has given.
And though the body slumbers here, the Soul, is safe in heaven.
Gone but not forgotten.
June 1852 ~ May 1935

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating! There is SO MUCH to YOU, Miss Sue!
    I love it! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phys Ed and Art - you have a wide range of skills and interests. Graveyards are fascinating - history, art, words, glimpses into people. Very interesting post. Growing up in Philly area - cemeteries there have 1700s - darn amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.