2/21/16

"Please Pass the Peas" and Pass on The Phone

Even though I wasn't all that interested in cooking and food preparation, I was very interested in Kitchen Design and any and everything that had to do with Setting the Table.  And so began a lifetime of collecting Dishes, Glassware, Tablecloths, Napkins, Crystal, Pottery and you name it in the realm of Vintage to Retro Table Settings.  (from...AtoZ Letter H~Home Economics...Heloise Who?) 
 
Although, written for 2015's April Challenge, the reference was from my 1964 Home Economics Class where 'Proper Table Setting' was introduced regardless of  how many matching knives, forks and spoons your mother had in her silverware drawer. 

Once you learned the art of setting out proper cutlery and tired to make sense of why 3 different sizes of glasses were necessary when your Mama served Texas Sweet Tea in a mason jar...you were told, "As hostess of your Table Setting you are the model for using EACH and EVERY piece in the setting".

Imagine my eyes rolling at the idea of unfolding a paper napkin and tucking it under my chin.  At our table, Mama brought a dish towel to pass around the table, used her apron and made sure baby brother had a bib.

The next, and in my mind, most important lesson learned was Table Etiquette/Manners.  Even though my Mama only had the basic three pieces of silverware, mason jar glasses, and a dish towel to share, she was big on 'elbows off the table', don't shovel in your food, chew with your mouth closed,  and always say, "Please pass the peas."

"Please pass the peas" was about the only conversation at our table as my Dad was a firm believer in 'Chew with your mouth shut and Clean your Plate'.  When your plate was clean, you were expected to clean it again at the sink with a conversation of, "Who's turn is it to do the dishes?".  It usually was mine...especially when I could not clean my plate of the boiled okra.
The idea of adding ONE more THING to a Table Setting would have sent Heloise into a Table Spin,  had Mama trying to fit it into her 'Junk Utensil Drawer' and my Dad scraping it off the plate into the trash...along with my boiled okra!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - those are pretty pieces of china .. and I know place settings - I have to remember sometimes! Love the sauce boat warmer ... and yes oh yes - where is that place for the mobile?!

    ... and I too would have wanted my boiled okra chucked out - and I don't waste food --- but okra I can't get to grips with! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not often we have to remember which fork to use when with all the casual dining these days. The pink warmer was a bit of a mystery for a long time. Sauce warmer or butter warmer for lobster...is my guess. I will never get a grip on okra either.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever even seen Okra - it must be too cold up here to grow it...and perhaps that's a good thing!
    Cell phones? They should be banned from tables everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion having NO okra is a good thing, and yes, it is a Southern grown plant. It makes a great garden plant with pretty yellow blooms. I like growing it...just not to eat. I think most of our generation believe in banning cell phones from the table, and it's catching on with 'WiFiLess' restaurants popping up here and there.

      Delete
  3. My grandmother taught me how to set a fancy table. My MIL bought me iced tea spool rests. My youngest son loves to set the table with all my china and crystal. Boiled okra is about as appetizing as calf liver (YUK)! Give me my okra FRIED, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice that you were schooled in fancy table setting and with iced tea spoon rests...really fancy! Hey, now, I like liver and onions occasionally, but can barely eat FRIED okra unless it is covered in ketchup

      Delete
  4. lovely table setting - I frankly would expect nothing less from you. For a long time, when I met Ray and his boys were young, the only matching we had were plastic Slurpee cups. Ha! I exaggerate but things weren't classy - I attempted not breakable, and a constant attempt of "Use a napkin, not your sleeve, please". cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you are invited to a summer brunch...if ever I can find the same dishes to set it up again. Famous words, "use your napkin, not your sleeve".

      Delete
  5. We had to attend a food tasting with our oldest son,his fiancee and her mom and daughter last night. My oh my have weddings changed! But as a small child my dad's oldest sister catered all the weddings and political events (and people wonder why I dislike politics so intensely!) so even though we were paid a small salary for our hard work we were taught how to set a proper table setting. We also had to fill the water glasses. I learned so much and sitting at the formal table testing the food the kids are serving at their April 30, 2016 wedding, brought back so many wonderful memories. My friend Lyn is a stickler for no cell phones and no elbows on her dinner table! She collects cellphones at her front door and stores them in a pretty basket, even the phone of her petite daughter the "cop"! LOL! Now my mind is racing! My uncle Louie would not eat a meal off of a cold plate so Auntie Ang would heat her Fiesta ware in the oven before serving dinner. I like to have tea parties and am planning to have one soon. I wish you were here, I would invite you over. I always give good goodies bags at my tea parties! Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.