1/2/17

Round and Round Rag Rugs

As it happens after a year of stripping fabric yardage, clipping, trimming and collecting scraps...my bins 'runneth over and over and over'.  And since I can't or won't simply throw them away, I recycle, recycle, recycle!  Clippings and trimmings are recycled as stuffing for 'Dog Beds'.  Strippings!!!! My favorites!!!!  I love making something out of leftovers, leftovers, leftovers!!!

So, as 2016 neared it's end, a Bin Binge began with separating and bagging the clippings and trimmings from the strippings.  Holy Bags of Scraps, Batman!, there was stuffing for more dog beds than I have dogs.  Not to worry...family dogs found new beds under their Christmas Trees.

As for the Strippings....several days were spent stitching them together end to end and rolling them into fabric balls and jelly rolls.  What fun making pot holders, microwave bowl warmers (will show them later) and rag rugs.  This round of rag rugs done in the round, but not necessarily round.  Yep, a giant size 'Q' crochet hook and yards and yards of strips makes crocheting round and round for several hours a fun and productive time.  At the end of the last round...here are some of the 'Round and Round Rag Rugs'....
 

6 comments:

  1. I have never crocheted a rug. I'm getting to the age where they are a hazard (the non slip backs you can buy don't necessarily work) - but you have a treasure trove of rugs to sell, if you want to go down that road. I have a rug made in North Carolina - not crocheted - that I treasure. Maybe I should blog about it during A to Z. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, rugs that slip are certainly a safety concern for all ages, actually. I haven't tried the non-slip backs or any of the products you can use to coat the backs. I like to use my rugs in areas where slipping is not an issue...like at the kitchen sink and in a door way where carpet and tile meet. Then there is on the fireplace hearth, as a seat cover, and as a table runner/center piece. I do plan on selling them, too. Am currently working on a couple of orders. I've loved weaving them on my Twinning Loom, but crocheting them is much faster. I would love to see your North Carolina treasured rug...a good idea for AtoZ.

      Delete
  2. Your rugs are beautiful! What a great way to use your leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. I get just about as much pleasure making things out of leftovers as I do from the item they were first used on. Almost like getting something for nothing!

      Delete
  3. I love a rag rug. In fact, it's been YEARS since I haven't had one in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, I knew you were a Rag Rug gal. Time for a new one, huh?

      Delete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.